If your child is fascinated by science, then at-home science kits are a fun and easy way for them to explore it. Not only are science kits very entertaining, but they will also help your kids learn important science concepts. Learning about science as a kid can spark a life-long passion – learning about chemistry or physics at a young age could inspire them to pursue a career in the STEM field as an adult.
Best Science Kits for Kids
There is a very wide range of science kits on the market today, so you can find one that makes the most sense for your child’s age and interests. You’ll find a range of different science experiments to try, with options for young children all the way up to pre-teens. Here are some of our favorite childrens’ science kits to try at home.
National Geographic Mega Fossil Dig Kit
- DIG UP REAL DINOSAUR FOSSILS – These genuine fossils are millions of years old! Dig for dinosaurs, sharks, brachiopods, mosasaurs, ammonites, and more. This Mega Fossil Dig Kit is one of our top learning toys, providing hours of educational fun, and helping to inspire a lifelong love of learning!
- EXPLORE PALEONTOLOGY – Excavate incredible, real fossils using the included tools of the trade: a chisel, brush, and magnifying glass. This kit makes an excellent STEM gift for boys and girls!
- 16-PAGE LEARNING GUIDE - This full color, detailed learning guide illustrates how fossils are formed and helps young scientists identify each specimen as it’s discovered. National Geographic educational toys make science and learning fun and are the perfect STEM activity for kids!
- A COMPLETE LEARNING ACTIVITY – this Mega Dig Kit includes everything you need to keep kids digging and learning for hours, including a dig brick packed with dinosaur fossils, a chisel, a brush, and a magnifying glass to inspect these amazing specimens!
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – The National Geographic STEM series provides kids high-quality educational toys that are a whole lot of fun! If your experience is anything less than extraordinary, let us know so we can make it right for you.
This engaging kit from National Geographic allows kids to try their hand at being a paleontologist. The kit comes with a large brick that contains a number of different fossil types, as well as the tools your kids will need to excavate them. One of the things that makes this science kit so fun is that the fossils are real, adding authenticity to the experiment. It also comes with a full guide to each of the fossils found in the dig, so kids can learn about these unique fossil specimens.
4M Crystal Growing Kit
- This science kit contains all the materials needed to perform seven different crystal growth experiments
- A special display case is included to admire the crystals once they are fully grown
- Perfect for young science enthusiasts, especially those with an interest in geology
- Complete instructions for each experiment are included with the kit
- Recommended for ages 10 years and up
Growing your own crystals at home is an easy science experiment that kids can do to learn more about geology. Not only can these crystals teach kids a lot about the way that rocks and minerals form, but they also make an excellent decorative keepsake. This kit comes with several different compounds that children can use to make crystals of different shapes, sizes, and colors. This experiment is best for children who are over the age of 10.
Thames & Cosmos Kids First Botany
- Learn about plants and seeds by conducting experiments in a specially designed botanical Laboratory with greenhouse domes
- Construct an automatic watering system to keep your plants from getting too thirsty
- Grow beans, Cress, and Zinnia flowers, and learn how each plant has different needs
- Experiment with plant cells and capillary action
- Learn how roots work to transport water and nutrients throughout a plant
If your child is interested in flowers and other plants, this kit is a user-friendly way to dive into the world of botany. It is designed for kids ages 5 to 7, and comes with a mini greenhouse lab where you can plant your own garden. Kids will learn about the structure and life cycle of the plants, and the miniature greenhouse challenges children to design an efficient watering system so their plants don’t get thirsty.
They’ll plant three different types of flowers and learn about the differences between each one. The kit comes with a full book containing a wide range of experiments for your kids to try, so it can keep them entertained for months as their plants grow.
Scientific Explorer Magic Science
- For Wizards only
- Unique educational kit will teach you the science behind the magic
- Chemicals include citric acid, baking soda, vegetable oil, cross linked polyacrylate copolymer, red cabbage powder, color tablets and zinc sulfide
- Supplies include 4 test tubes with stand, 1 clear tube wand with 2 caps, 2 measuring scoops, Purple paper, star stickers and activity guide
- Recommended for children 6 years of age and older with adult supervision
This is an ideal science kit for kids who enjoy fantasy movies or TV shows. It comes with nine different chemistry experiments, all with a wizardry theme. Kids can pretend they are casting spells and making potions, all while learning about the basic principles of chemistry.
It comes with all the ingredients and tools that you need to bring the magic to life, and kids will have fun making color-changing potions and even building their own wand and crystal ball.
Snap Circuits Beginner Electronics Exploration Kit
- Snap circuit’s beginner has 14 parts to build over 20 projects.
- These STEM activities are a wonderful introduction to problem solving, following directions, and the satisfaction of a job well done.
- The color manual makes it easy-to-follow for all builders.
- One of the award winning Snap Circuits line of electronic exploration kits.
- Extra safety features for younger engineers, perfect for ages 5-9.
Learning the science behind electronics is not only fun and exciting, but it’s also a very useful skill. Having basic knowledge of electricity is a great foundation for any kid who wants to learn how to build robots or other electronic devices when they get older. Snap Circuits makes several different kits that give kids hands-on electronic experience, and this is a great kit for beginners between the ages of 5 and 9.
It comes with 14 electronic parts, which kids can use to build 20 different experiments. The pieces use lights, motion, and sound to keep kids engaged. Snap Circuits are designed with safety in mind, and come with a detailed manual for guidance.
Creativity for Kids Grow n’ Glow Terrarium
- GROW YOUR OWN TERRARIUM - Explore the wonder of nature and science with the Grow 'N Glow Terrarium Kit! This indoor activity for kids allows you to craft, plant, water and grow your own mini ecosystem. Just add water for a unique science experience!
- SCIENCE KITS FOR KIDS - Includes everything a young botanist needs for two plant life cycles! Science kit features: plastic mason-style jar, potting mix (vermiculite), organic chia and wheat grass seeds, glow-in-the-dark forest figurines and more!
- WATCH IT GLOW - Watch your terrarium glow and grow! Add dimension to your DIY terrarium with translucent glow-in-the-dark star and constellation stickers that will light up your mini garden at night!
- ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS - The perfect STEAM activity that mixes science and art. Create your own terrarium while learning responsibility and nurturing. Your terrarium will begin to grow in as little as 3-4 days. All seeds are from and packaged in the USA
- GREAT GIFTS FOR KIDS - Since 1976, Creativity for Kids has proudly made fun and creative experiences today to nurture children's confidence for life. This garden kit for kids features non-toxic arts and craft supplies and is recommended for ages 6+
This fun earth science project encourages kids to be creative while also learning about biology. The kit comes with everything you need to build your own mini terrarium, and you can decorate it to glow in the dark. When you’re ready to bring your plants to life, all you’ll need to do is add water. This fun and creative activity is great for young kids, because it teaches them basic biology concepts while encouraging them to be artistic as well. The plants start to grow within three or four days, so you won’t have to wait long to see results.
SmartLab Toys All Natural Spa Lab
- Get more girls into Science! This collection of activities shows girls how to make fun, spa-inspired products, and explains the chemistry behind them all.
- This titles puts a heavy emphasis on inspiring girls to reach for goals; that they can do anything if they try.
- Girls will get to enjoy the products of their learning. They will make spa-inspired items like bath bombs, body scrubs, fairy dust, lip Balms, bath salts, and more.
- Stem focus: chemistry
- Ages 7 and up
This fun kit teaches your child about chemistry through the lens of a fun spa day. The kit comes with 30 different spa recipes and some of the basic ingredients you will need to make them. Keep in mind that many of the recipes do require extra ingredients, but they are items that you will likely already have in the kitchen, or that can easily be purchased at a local grocery store. Kids will learn key chemistry concepts while making items like bath bombs, lip balms, and body scrubs. When you’re finished making your spa products, you can relax and pamper yourselves for some family bonding time. This science kit is designed for kids ages 7 and up, and while it’s marketed towards girls, the experiments are fun for kids of either gender.
Kids’ Science Kits Buying Guide
There are a few key things to consider when shopping for a science kit for your child. The first is to make sure you choose a kit that is appropriate for your child’s age and ability level. If the experiments are too difficult, it will be hard for your child to explore these new concepts and have fun. You’ll also want to consider what types of science your child will be most interested in.
Finally, you should look at the value the science kit offers. If the kit comes with many different experiments in one, you’ll get more bang for your buck and your child will stay engaged for longer.
Hopefully this will help you decide which science kit you’d like to purchase for your child or children. There are a lot of different options out there, with various different scientific elements to them, so find one that you’d like and have some fun!