Building a robot is a fun and challenging way to improve your problem solving skills. They’re also a hands-on way to learn physics and engineering concepts, and maybe even try your hand at some programming languages. If you or your children want to into the STEM field, a robot building kit is a fun and exciting project to tackle, particularly when you’re spending a lot of time at home.
Best Robot Building Kits
Robot building has become a very popular educational activity, and there are a wide range of robot building kits to choose from. There are simple options that are appropriate for children as well as more complex kits that require advanced programming knowledge. We’ve rounded up some of the best robot building kits currently available to help you select the best one for your needs.
Lego Boost Creative Toolbox 17101 Robot Building Set
- Who doesn't love robots? Introduce kids to the creative world of coding with the best educational STEM toys to foster their curiosities. Building, learning, and programming robots has never been more fun!
- Includes 847 LEGO pieces that kids can build and rebuild into 5 cool multifunctional models. The best and most popular robotics toys for 7-12 year old boys and girls who love to tinker and learn about science. Use the latest tech like color, distance and tilt sensors.
- Construct and code Vernie the Robot to dance, rock out on the Guitar4000, foster Frankie the Cat, interact with the Autobuilder, or explore a new discovery with the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4). The IQ-boosting activities are endless!
- Award-winning toy and the perfect gift for kids and teenagers. Instructions for all 5 models are included with the free LEGO BOOST app. Download in the Amazon Appstore: amazon.com/dp/B075LL7KGB. Requires 6x AAA 1.5V batteries (not included).
- Vernie the Robot stands over 10" (27cm) tall, Guitar4000 over 1” (5cm) high, 16” (42cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide, Frankie the Cat over 6” (17cm) tall, AutoBuilder over 10” (27cm) high, M.T.R.4 over 4” (12cm) high, 9” (23cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
This kit gives kids an easy and approachable way to learn about robots. It’s a particularly great choice if they’re already familiar with Legos, as much of the building process uses familiar Lego pieces. It comes with the pieces you need to build five different robots – a traditional talking robot, a cat, a guitar, a rover, and automated production robot.
To program your robot, you’ll use the Lego Boost app, which is available for your tablet or phone. It teaches coding concepts in a kid-friendly way that requires minimal reading. You can even get creative and experiment with your own robot concepts by integrating other Lego kits you may have at home.
Ubtech Jimu Robot BuzzBot
- Skill Level: All
- Material Type: Plastic
The Ubtech brand makes a wide range of robot building kits that are appropriate for older children, teens, and adults. It’s hard to go wrong with any of their robot kits – you’ll find everything from traditional robots, like this one, to animals, vehicles, and even unicorns. All of the Ubtech robots use building parts that snap together.
This kit comes with all the parts you need to make two different robots – BuzzBot, a small human robot, or MuttBot, his canine companion. To build and program your robot, you can download the JIMU app. This app is very intuitive, using colorful building blocks to program different robot actions. It also guides you through the building process with three-dimensional animated instructions that give you a full view of the robot to minimize confusion.
Erector by Meccano Meccanoid
- ROBOT BUILDING KIT: Build a personal robot with articulating head, arms & motorized feet! Meccanoid stands at almost 4 feet tall & features voice recognition, LED eyes, & smart device communication, with 3 ways to program & 3000+ pre-programmed phrases
- LEARN & BUILD: With Learned Intelligent Movement (LIM) technology, you can move its arms and head or speak to it & it records what you’re doing and repeats it back to you! Meccanoid features 10 motors for arm, hands & head movement plus motorized feet
- GREAT GIFT FOR BOYS AND GIRLS 10 AND UP: Created by the renowned makers of Erector & robot-building sets, this mechanical building kit is a great activity for children & parents to tackle together & makes a great holiday gift. Recommended for kids 10 & up
- A NEW GENERATION OF INVENTORS: With a strong legacy behind us, Erector by Meccano is designing S.T.E.A.M. mechanical construction sets for a whole new generation of inventors & innovators who are curious about science, technology, engineering, arts & math
If you’re looking for a robot building kit that’s slightly more complex, but still appropriate for young teens, this is a great option for you. This detailed robot stands nearly four feet tall when finished, and although it can take some time to build, it is a very rewarding project. When the robot is fully programmed, it can walk as well as move its arms, hands, and head.
It features LED eyes and voice recognition, so you can actually have simple conversations with the robot using over 3,000 pre-programmed phrases. The robot can even dance and tell jokes. It connects to smart electronic devices for programming. This robot has very detailed construction and there is a learning curve to the programming process, so it may be frustrating for younger children.
Elegoo Uno R3 Project Smart Robot Car Kit
- ELEGOO Smart Robot Car: An educational STEM kit beginners (kids) to get hands-on experience about programming, electronics assembling and robotics knowledge. It is an integration solution for robotics learning and made for education.
- Complete Package: Contains 24 kinds of module parts including obstacle avoidance, line tracing module, infrared remote control and also you can control it via phone and tablets of Android and iOS system, etc.
- Easy to Assemble: All the module interface has been modified with XH2. 54 ports as to make it much easier and convenient to assemble the car and reduce the chances for errors.
- Refined Tutorial in CD: HD rendering instructions on how to assemble the robot car from scratch and all the necessary programs and codes are included.
- Upgraded Package Design: More minimalism design and make it a perfect gift for your kids and friends. Note：(Applicable Age : 12+)To use Elegoo starter kits requires basic electronic knowledge. If the user has no experience, it would be better to have someone lead and teach them while studying.
This kit comes with everything you need to build a miniature smart car. This kit is great for those who have some experience with basic robots and are ready to move on to a slight more intensive challenge. It has 24 buildable module parts, and comes with a full set of instructions to help you build the car.
Once the car is constructed, you can program it to have remote control functionality and to avoid obstacles using the Elegoo app. This is a fun, quick build for those who already have some basic electronic experience.
littleBits Star Wars Droid Inventor Kit
- Now with coding! Kids learn how to control electronics with code in 6+ New Block-Based coding missions.
- Award-winning: winner of 50+ toy awards and gift guides, including creative toy of the year, Good Housekeeping & ttpm.
- Missions & challenges: now with 22+ missions in the app so kids can teach their Droid new skills.
- Customizable: missions help kids get creative, inventing new Droids & giving them personality.
- Requires Smart device: either iPhone (iOS 10.0 or later) or Android (KitKat 4.4 or later with Bluetooth 4.0 or later and an accelerometer) is required to build and control your Droid. Amazon devices not compatible at this time.
If you or your child is a big Star Wars fan, you’ll get a kick out of this fun and engaging toy. This kit allows you to build a droid with a design inspired by Star Wars. It has an app for your phone or tablet that will guide you through the building process and then teach you how to program the droid as well. There are a wide range of coding ‘missions’ in the app, each of which teaches unique programming concepts so your droid can learn new skills.
Not only do these missions teach programming using a simple block-based coding software, but they also give you the opportunity to be creative with your droid. You can program the droid to respond to the world around it with noise and movement. This kit has many of the features you’ll find with other robots, but with a fun Star Wars twist.
Wonder Workshop Dot and Dash Robot Wonder Pack
- ULTIMATE ROBOT BUNDLE: Our Wonder Pack comes with the Dot and Dash robots, building brick connectors, charging cords, a tow hook, a bulldozer bar, a launcher and balls, target stickers, a bunny ears and tail set, and a xylophone.
- LEARN THE BASICS OF CODING: Dot and Dash are ready to go straight out of the box and use fun challenges to teach your child the block-based coding skills they will need for middle and high school while developing critical thinking skills.
- AWARD-WINNING ROBOTS: Wonder Workshop robots are used in over 20,000 classrooms worldwide and are seen by educators as leaders in the coding robot space. The accessories in the Wonder Pack keep kids engaged and learning over time.
- 5 FREE MOBILE APPS: Download 5 free apps for iOS, Android, or Kindle Fire 8 or later. Use these to help Dash and Dot sing, dance, navigate obstacles, respond to voice commands, respond to each other, and work together to solve the app challenges.
- HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF CODING: The free in-app challenges give your child hundreds of hours of STEM learning, while the fun accessories let you easily turn your robots into everything from a bulldozer to a catapult for engaging freeform play.
If you are looking for a robot for younger kids, this charming model from Wonder Workshop might be the right option for you. They have a bright, colorful design that kids will love, and they’ll also get plenty of opportunities to learn about programming and engineering concepts. These robots do not require much building, and they come with several different accessories.
There are also multiple apps for iOS and Android that you can use to program the robots. They use very simple block-based coding. When they are fully programmed, they can play games, make music, respond to voice commands, and even fling projectiles. The apps have hundreds of different learning exercises that kids can use to continue challenging themselves.
Robot Building Kit Buying Guide
A robot building kit can be an investment, so it’s important to make sure that the one you purchase has all the features and functionality that you’re looking for. A good robot building kit is versatile – ideally, it should come with everything you need to build a robot, as well as the option to create several different designs. It should also come with very clear instructions to walk you through the process.
Additionally, you should make sure that the robot building kit is age-appropriate. If you’re buying a kit for a child, it needs to be simple enough for them to use on their own with minimal help. If you’re purchasing for an older teenager or an adult, the kit should be more detailed and teach important engineering skills. And for some kids, a simple science kit may be the better choice.
Robot building kits can be a great way for your kids to have a little fun whilst doing something productive. They’re also relatively cheap too, so you don’t need to worry about spending a ton of cash on them either. So, pick up a cheap kit today and let your little ones have some educational fun!