Tablets are an easy way to keep your toddler entertained, but they have many more benefits than just fun and distraction. There are many tablets on the market that are actually designed for learning, so your little one can develop important skills through fun games. Many tablets also connect to libraries of age-appropriate educational TV shows and movies, which are a great way to help your child relax.
Best Learning Tablet for Toddlers
Tablets have become very popular over the past decade, and there are so many kid-friendly options on the market. A learning tablet for your youngster can be a big investment, so it’s important to make sure that the one you choose is a good fit. We’ve rounded up some of the best learning tablets for toddlers to help make shopping a little bit easier.
Kindle Fire Kids Edition 10
- Save up to $99 on a full-featured Fire HD 10 tablet (not a toy), 1 year of Amazon Kids+ (FreeTime Unlimited), a Kid-Proof Case with built-in stand, and 2-year worry-free guarantee ─ versus items purchased separately.
- 2-year worry-free guarantee: if it breaks, return it and we'll replace it for free.
- The included 1 year of Amazon Kids+ gives your kids access to over 20,000 apps, games, books, videos, Audible books, and educational content from PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney, and more. Your subscription will then automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may cancel at any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- Over 20 million kids (and their parents) have enjoyed the award-winning Amazon Kids (FreeTime) service. Amazon Kids parental controls allow you to set educational goals, create time limits, and filter content.
- Parents can give kids access to more apps like Netflix, Minecraft, and Zoom via the Amazon Parent Dashboard.
Amazon’s Kindle Fire brand makes some of the most popular tablets for adults, so it’s no surprise that their kids’ tablets have excellent performance and tons of great features that will keep your children entertained. It comes with a one-year subscription to Amazon’s FreeTime service, which gives your kids access to thousands of fun games, educational TV shows and movies, ebooks, and audiobooks, including thousands of Spanish language options.
After your first year, the subscription is only $2.99. You can download up to 32 GB of content to watch offline or connect to WiFi. It has 1080p video resolution and a fully 12-hour battery life. Parental controls allow you to limit your child’s screen time, block specific types of content, and manage separate profiles for each of your children.
LeapFrog Epic Academy Edition Touchscreen Kids Tablet
- Includes an extended 3-month free trial of LeapFrog Academy. This interactive learning program for 3-6 year olds guides them on learning adventures
- Through a well-rounded curriculum, children can explore skills that are important to their development at home or on the go, with or without Wi-Fi
- Packed with learning content and access to the LeapFrog Learning Library that explores a range of subjects and skills from math to creativity
- Kid-friendly right out of the box, LeapSearch lets kids surf the Internet and parental controls let you to set time limits and add Android apps
- A first of its kind customizable home screen lets children create an environment, add stickers and more to inspire creative play and self-expression
LeapFrog has always been a leader in educational toys for children, and this tablet comes equipped with plenty of fun games that will support the skills your kids are learning in school. It’s appropriate for younger children, ages 3 to 6, with a full library of learning games for different interests and ability levels. It comes with a buffer that is available in pink or green that protects the screen from cracking.
Many of the games on the tablet work without an internet connection, and it has 16 GB of downloadable content. You can also connect the device to WiFi to use LeapFrog’s kid-friendly web browser. Parental controls allow you to limit how much time your kids are spending on each activity.
Vankyo MatrixPad Z1 Kids Tablet
- The Vankyo MatrixPad Z1 kids tablet comes with the COPPA Certified Kid App Kidoz preloaded, a shock-resistant bumper with built-in stand and Eye Health mode which filters blue light. It's of 7 inch HD display, quad-core processor, Android OS, Bluetooth and it weights less than 1 lb. Supporting 38 languages, including Spanish, every kid can play on it
- Unlimited Kid-Appropriate Content: The Z1 kids tablet offers access to a range of age-appropriate and up-to date fun content including games, videos, paintings and educational apps, kid-safe websites, which are designed to hone in on math skills, reading, music, puzzles and creative arts
- Advanced Parental Control: With parental control mode, you can create and customize profiles for kids’ accounts, hand-pick content for your kids, control screen time and ensure they are browsing safe websites. These security settings can be adjusted as kids grow with content tailored to their age
- Large Storage and Long Lasting Fun: With the 32GB onboard storage and expandable up to 128GB by microSD slot, Vankyo kids tablet stores more appropriate cartoons, videos, educational games, eBooks, etc. The solid battery ensures 8-hours mixed use on a single charge, making it portable and ideal for long flights or road trips
- Exclusive Kid Proof Case: The specially designed case protects your kid's tablet against dust, bumps and drops. At the same time, all the features are accessible with precise cut-outs of ports, cameras. A colorful and 360°adjustable stand on the back of case allows toddlers to go hands-free for watching videos and video chatting.
If you’re looking for a tablet that won’t break the bank but still has plenty of entertaining features, this one from Vankyo is a good option. It uses an Android-based operating system and uses the Kidoz app to access plenty of fun content for your children, including age-appropriate educational games and apps, TV and other video content, books, and music.
It also lets kids browse appropriate websites, and comes with extensive parental controls. The app has content available in 38 different languages, so it’s great for international or multilingual families. It comes with a durable bumper case as well as a stand on the back. The battery lasts for approximately eight hours, and there is 32 GB of storage space.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A Kids Edition
- Designed for discoveries Samsung kids gives little ones their pick of over 10, 000+ hours of kid-friendly activities, featuring the characters kids love. Get a free trial of Samsung kids with purchase 1
- Their world; Your rules rest easy knowing your kids are interacting with content you can trust. Plus, set time limits, and monitor what they're watching.
- Safe in small hands: Made for little hands, the 8. 0" Galaxy Tab a kids Edition Includes a durable bumper case to protect against bumps and drops.
- Kid-level energy included with up to 13 hours 2 on a full charge, kids can browse, play educational games or watch a movie without recharging.
This kids’ learning tablet uses the power and functionality of the popular Samsung Galaxy tablets. It has a compact 8-inch design that is ideal for small hands, and comes with a durable case to protect against screen damage. One of the things that really stands out about this tablet is its excellent battery life – it can run for up to 13 hours with a full charge.
With a subscription to Samsung Kids+, your little ones can watch thousands of hours of educational, age-appropriate television, as well as classic children’s books and educational games to explore. Detailed parental controls allow you to monitor and limit their activity, and you can even set time goals for specific activities, like math, reading, and creative thinking.
Vtech Innotab 3S Plus
- Premium VTech Kid Connect lets you send text and voice messages, photos, drawings and fun stickers between InnoTab 3S Tablets and smartphones
- Rechargeable Power Pack (includes rechargeable batteries and AC adapter)
- 180 Degree rotating camera
- Plays videos and MP3 songs
- Expandable memory
This is a great option if you’re looking for a safe but engaging tablet for younger children. It doesn’t have a huge library of content, but there are several games pre-loaded, as well as an e-reader that children can use to enjoy their favorite books. They can also download music and videos to enjoy. One of the most exciting features of this tablet is the camera, which rotates 180 degrees to take photos from multiple angles.
A drawing app allows kids to get creative with their pictures and videos. You can also sync this tablet with your smartphone, and your kids can text or send pictures to a pre-approved list of friends and family. There is also an internet browser that has kid-safe controls to let them enjoy age-appropriate websites. It is lightweight and affordable, and is ideal for kids ages 3 to 8. It comes in both pink and blue color ways.
Toddler Learning Tablets Buying Guide
There are many factors to take into consideration when purchasing a tablet for your children. It’s important to make sure the device is age-appropriate – a tablet that’s fun for a three year old likely won’t be as engaging for a child that’s nine or 10.
Consider the games and video content that are available on the tablet and make sure they will consistently be able to keep your child entertained. Most kids’ tablets come with parental control features, which is important if you’d like to limit the content your child has access to.
It’s also very important to consider the durability of the tablet. Kids can be very hard on their electronics, so it’s crucial that the tablet can withstand a considerable amount of impact without the screen cracking.
Additionally, you should make sure that the tablet has a long enough battery life to keep your child entertained on the go, without needing to recharge too often. A good amount of storage is also a must – you’ll want to make sure that your kids can stay entertained, even without a WiFi connection.
A tablet can be a great way to give your kids access to the internet whilst you can still monitor it – most tablets nowadays will have restrictions on them, so you can decide what they’re looking at online (if they’re even allowed online at all!).
Though there is obvious concern that letting youngsters on devices like mobiles and tablets, in an advancing society it has become the norm. And of course, there are benefits of this too, with kids having access to more learning information than ever before.